Monday 9 December 2013

Moist Apple and Sultana Cake Recipe

Happy Monday y'all! How was your weekend? Mine was short ;) 
I made this awesome goodness earlier this month and it was in my sister's words "the best cake I have ever made". In the spirit of Christmas, I have decided to share this recipe with you all. Enjoy.

Ingredients
323g All Purpose Flour
163g Brown Sugar (Alternate with Caster Sugar)
125g Butter
3 Medium-size Eggs
3 Large Apples (Decored, skinned and diced)
Sultana/Raisins/Mixed Fruits (Be liberal)
2 Teaspoon Bi-carbonate of Soda
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
150ml Milk (I used Peak Milk)

Instructions
1. Melt butter and sugar in a pan on low heat. When melted turn off heat and leave to cool for 3-5 minutes.

2. Add vanilla and eggs. Beat until creamy.

3. Combine all dry ingredients. Sift to introduce air in the flour and to help ingredients combine properly.

Tip: I sifted thrice. Sifting flour helps aerate it changing the final texture of cake, it also helps the flour absorbs liquid more evenly. There is however a dispute over these claims; scientists are adamant about the need to sieve flour for recipe to add air because it is believed to be of no value. Nevertheless, I sift mine because 'what of if they are wrong and it does add value?' and of course, it cost me nothing but little time which I don't mind sacrificing.

4. Add dry ingredients and thoroughly combine with a spatula.

5. Add apple and sultana/raisins/mixed fruits.

Tip: Add peanuts, almonds and glazed cherry to give a richer flavour. 

5. Grease a medium size pan with butter and dust off with flour.
Turn mixture into it.

6. Pre-heat oven and toss cake in.

Caveat: I cannot tell you the temperature to use because I do not have an oven thermometer and my oven does not have an automatic temperature reader (sad, right? :( ). Also, I cannot tell you exactly how long I left the cake in the oven because I tossed it in and went to my room to chill.

7. Bake till you smell the cake getting burnt - like in my case...lmao, or till an inserted skewer comes out clean.

If you try out this recipe, please do leave a comment below to tell us how it went. Also if you have your own style of preparation, drop a note for us as well. Cheers!

1 comment:

Ruchie said...

Yummy cake I most confess. * two thumbs up for you*